View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:43 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
DoubleSoul: Infinite - Chapter 1 and 2 (Archive) 
Talespinner Webweaver
Talespinner Webweaver

Post Re: DoubleSoul: Infinite - Chapter 1 and 2 (Archive)
Kitsune wrote:
"True enough, I suppose," Arlim replied to Trevor, stopping at a red light. "I won't ask you for your story, but if you ever decide you need someone to tell it to, I'll be glad to listen."

He smiled reassuringly, giving Trevor a nod.

"I won't tell anybody; it'll be just between us, if you do tell me. Promise."

Arlim's attention turned back towards the traffic light, waiting for it to change.

"Maybe I'll tell you my story, too," he continued. "It, too, is something I don't particularly like sharing, but it's a part of this city's history. Of course, you could probably go look at old newspaper clippings..."

The light sat in its red state for a long time. For as empty as the road was of traffic, it didn't seem to want to change, as if it were standing before them in defiance while pedestrians crossed the sidewalk with comparatively less effort.

"...But you'll only get an outside look and scraps and hints. The real story is a lot darker than any media report you'll find."

------------------------------------------------

The laptop that laid before Black Ribbon, piled beneath stacks of papers and layers of dust, hummed lightly. It was definitely an old machine from nearly twenty-five years ago. As Ribbon's hands pushed aside the clutter to open the laptop, the logo on the back became visible: AIOS 3.

The notebook's lid pushed back, Ribbon could see the monitor clearly. It looked like the machine was booting up.

Code:
AIOS Arpeggio v.3.0 - Booting...
Version Error - Running Diagnostics...
Arpeggio v.3.0 Sys Hook - Offline

Unexpected Error - Incorrect Version
Unknown Error in AIOSPRSNA.EXE
Type "System" to enter System Setup

"Oops! Just a second... I need to load my data," came Minami's voice.

Code:
%%>Override x00000000c -t -r -x -e
Password: ************
System Override Granted
Manual Mode Command ARP - Online

%%>uplink //dimdrive00000:/root/AIOS5PRSNA.EXE /s
##AIOS Arpeggio v.5.0 System Hook - Online
Running in Arpeggio v.3.0 Backwards Compatibility Mode
AIOS3 VUI Mode - Online

A split second later, Minami's image appeared on the screen, the AI seeming to be inside the computer.

"Hey, there, kiddo!" Minami beamed.

She then looked at herself, blushing. "Oh, dearie me~ I'd forgotten about what I used to wear~ Please don't stare~!"

She seemed fully functional inside the aged machine, though with no visible camera or microphone in sight, the laptop seemed to be ahead of its time.

"You're staaaaariiiiing..."

---------------------------------------------

"Mmh! So you are already employed!" April grinned at Lissa, crossing her arms. "Well, if you ever want a few extra bucks to spend, drop on by, m'kay?"

She nodded to herself, thumbing at the gym. "I just need someone to help set out the weights. Not that I couldn't do it myself, but I've gotta get started on the books. Paperwork just don't do itself, y'know? I'll have Arlim open the pool today, maybe..."

She continued talking to herself as she headed on inside.

Migi's eyes peeked through the windows, wincing at the light. "Hey, girlie. Yer mates with that Shin fellow, right? Could you say hello to that Infini that hangs around 'im? I didn't get to catchin' his name last time..."

----------------------------------------------

Hidari shrugged at Dawn. "Sorry, I don't remember what happened that night, either..."

Ritsu chuckled to himself, rubbing the back of his neck. "While I am known to tease and such, I'm not joking around, honest. But I wouldn't say that he's uninterested. I mean, I tried to pry him off your chest for a good half hour, but he just wouldn't be budged. Kid likes to talk big, but when it comes to those of the female persuasion, he's more timid than most.">

Dawn digested this information for a bit, playing idly with the controller in her hands.

"Well, you're probably right," Dawn addressed Anna, "when you said you'd have to make the first move. And with as tall as you are and as short as he is... 'advertising' to him would be insanely easy..."

"I endorse this product and/or service," Ritsu smirked. "Sounds like quality entertainment for me, so these lips are sealed about anything you two are planning."

Hidari leaned over towards Dawn, grinning nervously. "Isn't it a bit weird to be hooking your brother up with your best friend?"

Dawn crossed her arms, nodding sagely. "It does, maybe, but if he were dating anybody, I'd much rather it be Anna than anybody else."

Suddenly, an idea struck Dawn. "Isn't the gym pool opening this week? I'll call Aunt April~!"

-----------------------------------------------

"An... abomination?" Quinn blinked at Coda. Zack and Marianne cringed a bit--that was about as "racist, though they weren't quite expecting him to burst into a fitful of laughter. "No more of an abomination than yourself or Mina! Seriously, would you like to see what you'd look like without your visual data? Fifty bucks says you'd look very similar."

Quinn waved his hand dismissively at the comment, laughing it off.

"Sales and customer service," Quinn said, seamlessly changing topic yet again. "I need you to make sure my stuff sells! Usually, Joan or I will be there, but there's going to be a point where the both of us are going to be away at the same time. That's when we'd need you to be there the most."

Dawn peeked around the corner, grabbing the phone off the hook.

"Daddy, if the pool's open, we're going to the gym," she grinned at her father, then pointed towards her brother. "You wanna go?"

Zack shrugged and nodded. "Sure, it's good exercise. I'll go get my stuff."

Zack stood up and wandered towards the staircase, nodding to Coda. "Take it easy."

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:47 pm
Profile YIM
Talespinner Webweaver
Talespinner Webweaver

Revanmal wrote:
"Ooooooh..."

Ribbon was indeed staring, though more at Minami being IN the computer, rather than at her outfit. Could Ribbon do that? And what was it like inside a computer? It was suddenly very curious...

"Hi, Miss Minami. Can you hear me okay?" It leaned closer to the screen, taking a close look at the text and strange background. Overall it seemed pretty surreal. "What's it like in there? It looks weird..."

Noticing the touchpad on the old laptop, Ribbon used it to bring a cursor up on the screen and move it around. Minami was the only thing on the screen besides text and squiggles, so it clicked on her, curious as to what would happen.

Profile YIM
Talespinner Webweaver
Talespinner Webweaver

Mr. Faceless wrote:
Trevor drummed his fingers on the dashboard. He didn't like it when the car sat still; it made him feel uneasy.
"I take it your story has something to do with this place and that Infini stuff, right?"

Profile YIM
Talespinner Webweaver
Talespinner Webweaver

BladedFalcon wrote:
Coda glared at Zack's comment about him being similar in any way with that ugly black AI. There's no way that was possible, and even if it was, he was not willing to accept it. Still, retorting to Quinn's son would be a less than advisable idea, specially when Mater Quinn was making him the favor to help out in his store... And perhaps lend him a place to stay.

Turning back to Quinn, he nodded at his explanation. "So basically, just keep an eye to the stand and attend any customers while you are away, correct? Sounds simple enough. I'll do it." Coda nodded, he really didn't think he would have any trouble handling that kind of work.

Coda waved his hand back at Zack as he left. Partially relieved that he did, he felt somewhat embarrassed about what he would ask to Quinn next. "Uh, if it's not much to ask. Would it be possible for me to stay the night in here? At least until I'm out of town again."

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:48 pm
Profile YIM
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23